Are you suffering from tooth decay or any other similar condition? Tooth decay refers to the destruction of your tooth enamel. Due to the fact that your tooth enamel is a thin layer atop your teeth designed to protect outside influences on the inner workings of a tooth, it is important to always keep your enamel strong. A breach of your tooth enamel can lead to tooth loss and severe infections. Common facts about tooth decay include the following:
– One of the biggest risks to your tooth enamel is due to plaque, which is the thin layer of bacteria and debris that can collect on your teeth and gums. When plaque is present, it can convert substances such as sugar into harmful acids that can eat through your tooth enamel.
– If tooth decay is left untreated, several oral health risks including extensive decay to the point that tooth loss can occur.
– When harmful acids eat through your tooth enamel, dental erosion can occur to the point that a hole forms, known as a cavity. If a cavity has formed, a dental filling will be required.
– To help protect your smile from an increased risk of tooth decay or to remove substances that can increase the rate at which it develops, visit our dentist for regular visits, routine checkups, oral health assessments and professional cleanings.
– Daily oral hygiene care is essential for limiting the risks of tooth decay. Be sure to brush twice every day with a nonabrasive toothbrush and toothpaste. Use a toothbrush that has soft bristles to limit the effects of dental abrasion. To clean between teeth, use reliable interdental cleaning tools such as water flossers or dental floss.
Do you require additional help with your oral health care to help combat the effects of tooth decay? If you would like to book an appointment with Dr. Ned Todorov DDS to see if you are a candidate for tooth decay prevention and care, please set up a visit with our team at our dental office in Wichita, Kansas, at 316-633-4543. Dr. Ned Todorov and our team are here to help you get the smile you want!